A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Choosing Stern

I'm out my hometown today. I have come over to visit some of the friends I shared my life with for nearly four years, from 2002 until 2006. Those years have been the best in my life to date. During my life in this city I had to work pretty hard but I also had the chance to party a lot and have great times. And looking back now, I am quite sure that the main reason for such a great experience was the people I met. It's important to live in a place where one may have many opportunities at all levels but if one doesn't find the right people the place itself means nothing.

This city is a great place. And I am sure that NY is amazing too. As the departure date for NY comes closer (less than 3 weeks now!), I feel a little bit in the same way that I felt in 2002 when I was about to arrive in here: new city, some references about some people, great expectations....but a certain doubt about whether the choice made was the right one. One cannot say ''got it'' until some personal evidence proves it.

When I decided to quit my job and start the application process for a top-tier MBA I had not a very clear idea about the specific school I wanted to join. There is a pretty big bunch of top schools and making a decision is not easy at all. Let's say, why Stern and not Kellogg? Is Wharton a "better" option than Harvard? I guess you understand what I mean. I think that unless you have very particular motivations to choose one school, most of them (I refer to top-tier ones) offer pretty much the same things: great faculty, international drive, broad alumni network, career services and so on... I went through websites, I requested brochures, I attended some informative sessions...but in the end I made my first choices basically based on sensations and feelings.

I ended up choosing seven schools. I had quitted my job and, although I was quite confident about the strength of my future applications, I did not want to take the risk of being dinged and waste an entire year. Therefore, following the advise of some friends who had study MBAs (and after applying some basic statistical reasoning) I decided to apply to seven business schools, four in the US and three in Europe. This may be a little weird (in fact an officer told me at the admission interview at one of the schools that he had never come across a guy who had applied to so many schools!) but I think that it is also reasonable.

Due to the fact that I started the application process pretty late (i.e. January) and that I was applying to a relevant number of foreign schools, I didn't have the opportunity to visit the schools in advance, I mean, prior to choosing them. I read many comments on websites and blogs about the importance of visiting the schools or meeting people from them. And I must say that it is true. I only discovered it through the application processes but it was definitive for me. So, if you can afford it - basically in terms of time and money - arrange for a visit to the schools in which you are more interested; it will shed light on your doubts.

And this is the point where my decision about Stern was made. Once my Stern application was processed and I made it through the interview phase, I was quite shocked when I realized that it wasn't possible for me to be interviewed in my country by a Stern alum or so and that I had to go to NY for a half an hour interview. At that time, I thought that such a trip was an unexpected cost rather than an investment, it made no sense to me. Looking back now, I may say that it was the best thing that could have happened to me.

I organized myself to spend four days in NY visiting both Columbia and Stern, meeting the people, attending lectures and so on. I had almost decided at that time that if I was to leave for an MBA in the US, NY was the place for me. But both Columbia and Stern are great places and I wanted to be in a position to decide properly if I was finally offered a place at both schools.

Once in NY I definitely realized that both schools offered very similar things and their main gimmicks to attract students were kind of similar. At each school I remember myself asking "and what's wrong about (the other school)? And nobody told me a single bad thing. In fact, several people told me that nothing wrong could be said, that it was up to me to decide....and that such a decision would probably made based on personal perceptions and sensations.

And that's why I chose Stern. Since the very beginning I was (positively) shocked about how people treated me. First, some days prior to my visit to Stern I was contacted by a second year student who acted as my host there. It was not anything official, I mean, such contact wasn't within the context of a school's program for visitors. He contacted me by himself, just to help a potential future student. Once I was in NY he took me around the school, he introduced me to a lot of his friends, he took me to a couple of lectures and he even invited me to go to the beer blast that takes place every Thursday at the school's cafeteria. Everybody was laid back, they all were really nice to me, showed interest about my application and made me feel like I was at home. Secondly, I also had an "official" informal lunch with a student and such lunch did nothing but confirming what I have told before. Finally, the admissions interview was a relaxed and friendly one (although I was not pretty sure about the "right" answers to some questions) and it gave the impression that the purpose of the interview is mainly acknowledging if the candidate may be a nice "Stern guy". The strictly academic/professional selection is made based on the application. The interview's goal is knowing the person.

This is not any kind of advertising. It's up to you to decide. I'm just telling how comfortable I felt at Stern.I was just a foreigner coming to Stern for a short interview but I felt like I was already a student. When I came back to my country I was sure that Stern was the ideal place for me. And what made me feel that way? It's clear: Stern's people.

I have started this post talking about people and how people may determine one's happiness. It happened to me 4 years ago and it seems to me like it's gonna be pretty much the same thing in NY, at Stern. Everything I have come across concerning Stern to date points in such direction. In any case, what may have been suitable for me may not be so for some of you. Every single person has her own personality, values, etc and, in my case, I think that the Stern community and myself will match in a perfect way. And this is not just a matter of sensations but rather my own experienced evidence. Thus, it's my advice that you look for it when choosing your future school. Academic excellence may be given for granted at top schools. However, finding the right atmosphere and idiosyncrasy is up to to every applicant.

I thought that this personal insight could be interesting at the very beginning of the application process, which is nothing but choosing where to apply. I will tell you some other day about essays, GMAT and so on.

Ciao!

4 Comments:

Blogger atypical HBS said...

Great post man.
I look forward to reading more from you.

10:07

 
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanx for sharing, Rubeo~

So you just proved how important school visits are. But it's kinda hard for me to visit the schools, since I'm in China now...
On the other hand, I'm interested to know how you decided to quit your job? Coz that's quite risky to do. I've been struggling over this lately, coz if I quit my job, I can move directly to Toronto, and then I can get the chance to visit the schools...

03:19

 
Blogger Rubeo Boy said...

Hi Katrina,
It's a good point what you mention. I live in Spain and I couldn't afford - in terms of time and money - visiting the American schools in advance...until I quitted my job.

Well, in an ideal scenario, you should be able to go over the application process without the need of quitting your job. Actually, that's what most people are able to do. So, if you plan in advance with enough time, I'm sure you will make it.

In my case, working for a big law firm on M&A issues during peak times is extremely demanding and, although I started with my tests and applications in September, I couldn't devote as much time as I had wanted to my first priority. In fact, I only worked on the MBA application issues some weekends (and also some mad times very very late in the evening) for nearly four months. It was December and I only had the Toefl in place. So just imagine...

What I mean is that quitting my job was the only possible alternative for me in a prospective scenario of more long hours in the first quarter of 2006. I was really afraid b/c I was quitting a "good" job in exchange for...nothing (or a potential admission offer, if you prefer). I was confident but afraid. I would have preferred to keep on working, then getting the admission offer and then leaving in March or April and have some quiet months off...

So, I wouldn't advise on quitting the job at a very early stage. If it's the only option for you then go for it. In the end, it is a matter of truly pursuing what I wanted the most...and pursuing it in the best possible way to make it true

11:29

 
Blogger Katrina said...

Hi Rubeo, truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Just get my GMAT done last week, and I guess now I can be a little relaxed on the multi-tasking thing...

Well, on the other hand, i don't have a "good" job like you. And my biggest problem is I need to travel a lot, and I can't really think about application while I'm working on customer site. (I can do that while I'm in office thou:P) But for the time being, I plan to stick to the job till the end of this year, then I'll see what happens.

06:45

 

Post a Comment

<< Home