A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Sunday, August 13, 2006

The "D" Day

It's 1330 and in an around 45 minutes - once I finish transferring my Massive Attack's CDs to the Itunes - I will be picking up my car, putting three suitcases (around 45kg) in the trunk, and leaving my home. Time for farewells. Tomorrow morning, at 945, I will be on the plane ready to leave for NYC to start a completely new life.

These last days have been kinda bittersweet. On the sweet side, the "D" day was getting closer and I was happy about it. On the bitter one, saying goodbye to family and friends is sad. There have been a couple of times where I've felt that my eyes have become a little wet and that talking has been hard.

I have kept telling everybody that I will be coming back for Christmas, that's just three months and so on...but I'm somehow afraid of losing contact with the people I love. Two years (and maybe more thereafter) - with some short visits inbetween - are a pretty long time and I'm aware that I'm about to start a completely new life where the unexpected things may soon become my daily routine. This is my place and I expect to come definitely back sooner or later but the question is: "who can assure such a thing?" And that makes me afraid.

Anyway, the next post will be from NYC itself. Probably from Harlem, where I will spend the first days at a friend's place given that I cannot move in my place in the Village until 19 August. I'm sure that the first days will be kind of hectic. Registering at the school, open a bank account, get a cell phone, health insurance issues, moving in....in short, getting used to a new life in a new city surrounded by unknown people, although I'm glad to say that I've already made some contacts (sternies and non-Sternies). I'm sure this will help a lot.

Well, time to finish. Talk to you next time from NYC. Can't believe I 'm saying so...

Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home