A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Monday, September 04, 2006

Taking advantage

Hey there!

It’s 430 am of Labour Day, a bank holiday in the US. It’s Monday. I have just arrived in my place. It’s been a good night out. Another one. I have decided to play Eyes Open, the last record by Snow Patrol. Yesterday I saw an advert in the street concerning their prospective gig in NY. Already sold out, unfortunately. I have to become more effective in terms of leisure in NY. There is so much going on every day that it’s not difficult to miss things.

During the pre-term we’ve been advised to take full advantage of these two years in NY. It’s somehow given for granted that every single MBA student is going to study as much as necessary (we all are old – and responsible – enough not to waste the huge amount of money we’re investing…I guess) but the other side of the coin, that is, having fun, must also be developed. And that’s what I’m trying to do so far.

Classes are starting tomorrow (I mean Tuesday) and a couple of assignments are already due. I am still pretty shocked by the amount of work to be prepared for a single lecture. As regards Foundations of Finance (by professor Silber, very admired here), around 100 pages of the main book concerning how stock markets work, efficiency, introduction to trading orders, etc., and a 15 pages article. Lots of brand new terminology. The Strategy course also starts on Tuesday and a 50-page reading and a case are due.

The pre-term finished on Thursday (by the way, the Booze Cruise was great. The food, drinks, the skyline from the Hudson…..and the people’s mood. Let’s just say that everybody was, after a couple of weeks kind of checking out the talent, waiting for it….) and lots of work was ahead of us due Tuesday. I did not go out on Friday and spent the whole Saturday reading. Saturday night out and back home around 230 am. Sunday spent with more extensive reading. And night out, as you all can see. I’m done with Finance but there’s quite a lot left as regards Strategy. But I believe I’ll be ok.

Having said that, the point I just want to make is that it’s in my view a key (and necessary) point to take full advantage of every single day. I’m also following the piece of advice provided. For instance, tonight I’ve gone to Brooklyn with some friends to have some drinks to a great place by the river (Manhattan’s skyline was awesome from there) and then we have headed back to Manhattan to the so called Motherf***** party (this time at a place close to Union Square), which takes place before bank holidays. A pretty curious and worth seeing thing. Before getting in I have come across a guy who was dressed and looked like Jesus Christ. A few minutes later, already inside the club, after Boys & Girls by Blur and Common People by Pulp, I have been able to see a 60-year-old Ernest Hemingway in the dance floor, Jack the Ripper, Marilyn’s double, a number of Robert Smith’s (The Cure’s leading singer), punks, George Michael’s in the famous police video clip… This is New York.

I’ll be waking up a few hours to resume my reading. But the night has been great. I won’t probably be able to stick myself to this pace for the whole two years. But let’s try, though. Ciao!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great diego!! jeje, me ha gustado mucho leer tu diario, ya veo que este es publico jeje......un besito fuerte.cuidate.

06:31

 

Post a Comment

<< Home