A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Monday, September 18, 2006

Brooklyn Etc.

It’s around 2330 pm and I have just arrived at my place. I’ve been to Brooklyn. Just a couple of subway stops from Union Square. Some girl friends were hosting a party at their place. An amazing place. Their apartment is great: big living room, two bedrooms and a great tv and couches that they just got for free on Craigslist (amazing but true!) and an amazing rooftop where we have hung around since around 4 pm: burgers, sausages, pasta salad, beers and some caipiroskas… Around fifteen people, most of them new to me. The view of Manhattan’s skyline was awesome and watching the dusk on a beautiful and sunny day was simply amazing. This is definitely New York.

By the way, what keeps driving me more and more crazy is seeing some people’s apartments…and then coming back to my shitty place. I have to move out, hopefully for Spring term….

It’s kinda healthy to get out of the Stern circle from time to time, oherwise the NYC experience would not be complete. Don’t get me wrong, I’m really happy with the school and its people but it’s a matter of mental health, I guess.

I’m gonna go to bed soon. I’m wasted. I went out for a quick drink on Friday night (first time in Meatpacking, btw) after spending nearly 5 hours with my study group inside a room trying to get rid of our first Statistics assignment (and, in my case, trying to understand what a bloody pivot table is and to deal with 1,000 rows Excel files…It’s amazing that it’s given for granted that everybody is proficient with Excel!!) due tomorrow.

On Saturday I spent the whole day reading on returns and yields, demand curve elasticity and writing an essay to apply for the highly selective Integrated Development Program for career switchers to get some insights on specific industries. Let’s see if I’m lucky enough to make it. Once I was done with work I headed for some bars and latter to a party to which an Argentinean class mate was invited (full of Hispanic people and where a Mexican girl wouldn’t give the time although I had some good vibrations…). Back home around 430 am….and today early up due to a damned trial fire alarm nearby. Did I say before that I wanna move out?

Well, I don't expect the incoming week to be particularly hard although I have a Firms & Markets assignment due on Wednesday and Finance and Strategy assignments due next week. We’ll see. Socially speaking, the entrepreneurs’ club and the European club will hold their kick-off meetings.... and well, a friend and I have been talking about giving a go to NY nightlife in the middle of the week... I'll tell you about it next time.

Ciao

2 Comments:

Blogger atypical HBS said...

seems to be having an amazing stern and NY experience. Good for you.

13:11

 
Blogger Rubeo Boy said...

You're right Guymba although, in addition to the parties, and as you can see, I also go to bed at 3 am on a given Wednesday like today (and for second day in a row) for work motives...well, some downsides :) I just keep my fingers crossed, though!

03:17

 

Post a Comment

<< Home