A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Monday, October 16, 2006

Stressful days (II)

After yesterday night’s “digression” I am back to reality. In fact, reality is about to provide me with my first proper Stern exam in around ten hours. The Firms & Markets (i.e. microeconomics) mid-term exam is gonna test me seriously for the first time at Stern. I think I´m ready. Hope I’m right!

Tuesday will be the Finance day. Another mid-term. We have been told that it is probably the tougher exam we will be facing in the first year, so I better get ready. I have almost covered all the stuff but I will have to make good use of the time tomorrow evening.

Then, a Stats quiz on Wednesday and the take-home mid term exam for Strategy due Friday. After that, it will be time to paint the town red, for sure!

The last two weeks have been intense from an academic standpoint. Lots of assignments, time constraints and so forth. Anyway, the end of October – and the most demanding time in biz school for me – is just around the corner.

But let’s forget about academics for a while. I want to tell you about the trip to Yale a week ago. Maybe I have watched to many American movies from the eighties and early nineties but one things I really wanted to do before coming to the US was becoming part of one sport team from school. In my case, it’s been football (i.e. soccer). On 6 October six of us hired a van in midtown and left for the Yale Cup. After a two hour ride we arrived in New Haven – quiet town that, don’t ask me why, reminded me of Back to the future’s town – had dinner and partied for a couple of hours with some locals. It was funny though, b/c we met some chicks in the street and we managed to make it through the VIP line of a popular club with them.

On Saturday morning we woke up early, had breakfast, bought Gatorade and water for everybody and around 830 am the rest of the guys arrived from NY in another van. Three games later we were classified four quarter finals (including a great victory over Columbia in the NY derby). We were pretty optimistic at that point.

On Saturday evening we had dinner at an Italian restaurant (where they served us the hugest courses I’ve ever seen – one guy ordered mussels and they brought him, I don’t know, maybe 3 kg….). The atmosphere was great. Btw, it was my birthday and we celebrate it with some singing and stuff.

Sunday morning. Ready for action. However, all our illusions vanished when the guys from Yale Med School kicked our ass. Pretty easily to be honest.No much else to say. Back to NY and end of the trip. Our next step will be UCLA in around a month. I can’t believe I am gonna make it west!!!!! I'll have to skim through Kerouac's On the road before departing (although I will be travelling by plane, the feeling is still there!) I’m sure it will be great again. The team’s camaraderie and atmospehere was excellent and playing in LA will be kind of a dream.

Ok, I am gonna finish here. Gotta get some good sleep to be fit for tomorrow’s challenge. I’ll tell you about this week’s performance in future posts. Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home