A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Tonite, tonite

Time is never time at all… believe, believe in me…Billy Corgan is in charge of inspiring me tonite.

Stressful times are over. The awful week is gone. Outcome? A grade above the average in Finance (not good enough to get an A, though), a good Firms & Markets exam (waiting for the grade) and a big failure in Stats ( I was really f*?#ed up!!!). But the week is over. One of the toughest weeks of these two years, as people keep telling us, is gone. Nice to see so.

To celebrate properly I have gone out tonight. It’s nearly 4 am and I have just arrived at my place. We have spent the night at Hotel Gansevoort, Meatpacking district. I really hate how uptight Meatpacking is. You are either ready to pay 300 bucks for a bottle at a popular club or you go with some chicks. Otherwise you won’t make it inside. That’s why I prefer the Village, no strict rules. In any case, tonight it was three of us and we finally made it through Hotel Gansevoort’s bouncers. Great choice. 13th or 14th floor, amazing eye-views, good looking chicks...the downside the expensive drinks. Around 80 bucks for 5 Jackies and coke. I am not still used to how easy it is to talk to American girls. It’s even easier when you say that you have spent some time in Barcelona. It’s like that Friends’ episode about going backpacking to Barcelona when Rachel hits on Ross following Joey’s techniques…good fun!

I really needed a night to stress out. I am glad I have been able to go through the first hurdle. I guess now I will have some more spare time to focus on my career search and to paint New York red from Monday to Friday. I do not want to be very optimistic though, since workflow keeps coming and never stops…

My mom is coming next week. It will be a fun experience to see her around. I know she’s really excited about this trip and I just hope she won’t be coming back home disappointed.

I am going to get some sleep. Tomorrow I am waking up early for our soccer practice. The UCLA tournament is getting closer and I need to get a littler fitter. So it is the "Gotham Cup" next week vs Columbia - we kicked their ass in Yale a couple of weeks ago. After a few weeks of hard work I can hardly remember what working out means....

Portishead's Dummy tells me that it is now time to go to bed.

I'll keep you posted.

Ciao

3 Comments:

Blogger atypical HBS said...

great blog man, I read it all the time. I've applied to columbia, so I like reading about students' experiences in New York.

07:39

 
Blogger Rubeo Boy said...

Nice to hear that you like it. Many thx. In any case, not good enough to make you apply to Stern, though... :-)

20:46

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola!
listen I'm coming from ESADE (Barcelona) on the spring term as an interchange student. Would be great to meet you up!
Si estuviste por NYc en agosto...te perdiste Aste Nagusia?!
Just in case you wanted to contact me...scrman@hotmail.com
Need to go back to Corporate Finance study...got an exam tonight!
Cheers

05:37

 

Post a Comment

<< Home