A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Sunday, June 17, 2007

London calling I: catching up

Sunday night and I'm rather tired. It's been an extraordinary weekend and, although I should go to bed to get some sleep, I feel like writing some feelings and thoughts about the last two days.

Last Friday I flew to London. It had been some time, maybe a couple of years, since I last visited a city that I've always loved. It's funny b/c last time I was there I was still at the firm I used to work for. Thus, the circumstances were completely different at that time. I had not planned to visit London this summer but I had some "dues" to pay there...

After a long time I managed to meet again with a great friend of mine. A guy that I met in England while we both were studying in Exeter almost nine years ago thank to our respective college exchange programs . We first met in a random way: 20p here and there, some Crowded House music and Australia (he is from there and it was, and still is, my dream country although I haven't been there yet)...I now look back and I realize that I don't keep that many friends from those days, roughly four or five, but they are really good ones. It's amazing and something to be proud. No question about it. Well, the thing is that I had not seen this friend of mine for a long time - even though he even visited NYC a few weeks ago when unfortunately I was not there - and going to London was a great opportunity to catch up. And, as I said before, it's been a great w/e.

Everybody knows London has a great vibe. Nice places to see, great shopping, lager & stout, hot venues... If you add a reunion on top of that, it sounds just great. On Friday evening, around 830 pm, I arrived at my friend's place in Maida Vale, an awesome neighborhood close to Notting Hill. A few minutes later we were already out with his Aussie buddies and surrounded by beer. It was a rather quiet night, though. Saturday was an awesome day. Around noon we went to a food market near the London Bridge where you can find anything: from wasabi nuts (God, they are delicious!!) to scallops, samosas, raclette or awesome carrot cake (one of the best I've ever had, btw). Then some shopping in Carnaby St. (mandatory stop at Merc) and then back home for some rest before getting ready for the big night out.

During that time my friend and I philosophized a little about life, our buddies’ situations and problems, girls, girlfriends, the turning points in life where we are now (he quit his job in Melbourne to give a go to London and he's doing a great at a big law firm)...again with some beers (Ed Burns would be proud of me) and some more wasabi nuts. It's good to hear that some of your friends have the same concerns and doubts, it makes you feel less insecure and it makes you look at the future in a more hopeful way. It was also a good time to try to remember some of the cricket rules....well, at least to try to remember... What happened after, the big night, requires some extra lines but I'm too tired now, so I will leave it for tomorrow. I must definitely write about that.... I would just say that I now love Australia even more.....

Before finishing, and after a very dramatic season, the soccer team from my city has been able to remain in first division. Thank God! I got a text message on my phone by the time my plane landed earlier today and the news was a huge relief!! It's been a season to forget but let's hope that next year we'll do better..

Going to bed now...second part on London still to come.

Ciao

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I´d like to read something about your conversations (life, girls...) and about the Big Night!

06:50

 
Blogger Ramón de Mielina said...

I agree... ¡¡queremos la segunda parte!! :-)

07:55

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As would I . . . it sounds intriguing.

18:32

 

Post a Comment

<< Home