A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Recurring monogamy

It’s a curious thing how guys and girls look at many things from completely different perspectives. The other day I was talking to a colleague from work about how I perceived a situation I had recently gone through with a girl and she gave me the girly perception, which, of course, was completely different from mine. And she was just right, as I could confirm later.

Last Friday I went out with a girl that I met at a wedding last year, before I left for NY. We have been in touch throughout the year by email but we had never seen each other again from the wedding day in May 2006. Seeing her again was kinda weird but it felt really good from the very beginning. We went for a couple of beers and after catching up on our respective lives, we talked quite a long time about guys and girls, or girls and guys, as you prefer.

It’s a curious thing how single people in their late twenties and early thirties, who are in many cases surrounded by friends and relatives who have already got married or had kids or who are already separating or getting divorced (just to state a few situations), have to deal with singles’ tables at weddings, family questioning and the like. Although I fall within such age segment and status, I do not feel that “pressure” at all – probably due to my business school kind of living – and nor does this girl. At one point in the conversation she came up with the expression “recurring monogamy”, something I had never heard about and that immediately caught my eye. Not just because the expression itself but also because it had been pronounced by a girl and it is probably more likely to hear that from a guy.

If you look around you, you will probably have heard a story of people breaking up on their wedding day, getting divorced a few months after getting married or cheating on their partner at some point. It is a fact that such things happen. Is this something natural? Do “true loves” exist? Is it natural to be linked to just a single person forever? Or is it socially imposed? Is recurring monogamy a more “natural” status? I do not mean to give an answer. I don’t even have “the answer”. I just felt the need to write about it. Any thoughts?

Until next time. Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home