A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Post midterm blues

Hell, it’s been three weeks since the last post. I am sorry but life has been hectic in here. Midterms are now over and the pace is slightly slower although, unfortunately, work never ends.

The midterms are over and I am relieved. I can’t say I’m happy, though. I feel like I have worked quite a lot so far during this term but the exams were not that good. It’s not that I had Cs or stuff. Just Bs and B+s. The normal distribution system used to grade in the US is convenient for average workers and underperformers. It’s pretty easy to get a B. On the contrary, getting an A or a C is pretty tough. I have finally decided to strictly stick to some of my friends advice prior to coming to Stern and I am gonna focus on learning and experiencing. I don’t give a damn about the grades anymore. I am not gonna work as hard as I have just to have a slight possibility of getting an A. The MBA experience, as I said in one of my first posts, goes beyond the academics and time is valuable in terms of job search/networking and leisure.

Apart from that, life keeps going well. I have had the chance to party hard this last weekend. Three days in a row, including my first (probably not last) visit to Marquee, the fanciest club in town at the moment. It happened last Friday, following a dinner at a BOYB (bring your own beer) place in the west village with my study group to celebrate one’s birthday. Then we headed over to Marquee. Marquee’s policy is clear: you need the same number of guys and girls to get in (paying cover, of course). Since we didn’t meet the criterion (4&2) we had to buy a bottle for the six of us… and it reminded me of a similar experience that I had once at Pacha, Ibiza, with my buddies: $390 bucks on my credit card at the end of the night (tip included – the waiter did not work in London….only a few of you will understand this) or a balance of $65 each, which is not a bad deal taking into account that we paid no cover. The place is worth seeing: nice venue, great music and amazing chicks… As my friends would say in a nutshell: celebrities!!!!!

It’s almost 1 am and I still have to go through the video of today’s finance class since I didn’t understand a shit of what was going on. I really have to get this done today b/c tomorrow I am leaving NY for four days. Destination: L.A., California.

Yes, I have had to wait to get close to my 30s to make it to the west. I can’t wait. Stern soccer team is playing a tournament against other biz schools at UCLA (similar to what we did in Yale, New Haven, some weeks ago) as of Saturday morning. I am leaving a little earlier to try to network and to try to get a couple of informationals with two companies over there. For the first two nights I will stay at some Spanish friends’ place who just moved into the US last July: Long Beach sounds just great. On Friday I will join the rest of the team, which is flying from NY early in the morning.

So I’m finishing now. I will definitely try to write a post from California, just to state what it feels like to be there. I can already kind of feel it…and it feels really good!

Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home