A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Monday, February 05, 2007

Windchill

Goddamn it! How the hell can it be so cold? I have just come back from my first late evening class ever (from 6 to 9 pm) and the temperature is 14F which, in turn, is -10C. But that’s just the beginning b/c the windchill (the effect from the wind) makes it feel like 5F or -15C, as you want.

I had only experience once such a cold weather and it was skiing. We don’t have snow at all these days. On the contrary, the sun shines and it seems like is warm and nice outside….wrong perceptions!

No many news. The semester keeps going. This week I am gonna start three new courses. Three electives with a strong media component: Entertainment & Media Industries, to get a perspective about the whole industry, sector by sector; Business of Sports, which seems like is gonna be great fun, going through the world of professional sports and the way in which money is made; and M&A, a self explanatory course but with a special focus on media and taught by the COO of Viacom!

So far I am enjoying quite a lot my Corporate Finance course with Damodaran. The guy is really good and the lectures are good fun. However, it’s a pity that he’s so popular b/c we are more than 300 people in an auditorium and the class is not interactive. Anyway, we have this project consisting of analyzing a company and I have picked Dreamworks. I will have to go through every single aspect of it, from corporate governance (something that we have already covered in class and that has taken me back to the very first presentation I had to give to the partners at one of my previous jobs) to valuation. Then I will have to compare my findings with those of my study group’s mates’, who have picked companies such as China Mobile or Apple.

The weekend was good. I went out on Thursday night and I went with some friends to a German restaurant to celebrat a friend’s birthday…some wheat beer and then some fooling around with a girl from the early first semester. Nothing happened, though. I was able to cool down and prevent things from going “out of control”. Much better this way. I also went out on Saturday to another friend’s birthday party at a place in the Lower East Side. It’s funny because before heading over to the bar we got kind of drunk at home watching Dirty Dancing (I hadn’t seen it!) and Girl Next Door (you guys gotta see it!). I ended up in my room singing and dancing on my ow, pretty wasted actually, before leaving for the party…

Well, time to finish. I am a new addict to Heroes, a show from NBC. It’s really cool, about some guys who are a little bit like the X-Men but in the real world. I am gonna see a couple of episodes on my labtop before sleeping. Oh, almost forgot….and yesterday I watched the whole Super Bowl game, 4 hours in front of the tv, commercials included….this is America!

Ciao

1 Comments:

Blogger Ciudadano said...

These 5 degrees of difference must be the so called "thermical feeling" that prestigious spanish weatherman Mario Picazo!!

Take Care!

14:55

 

Post a Comment

<< Home