A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

See u NY!!

Half an hour past midnight. My last whole day spent in NY in 2006 is gone. It’s been a long one but also a productive one. I have had an informational – great way to close the year – with one of the partners of at a pretty new company that is a kind of hegde fund investing only in movies. Everything she has told me about her job sounds great. It would be a great job, no doubt about it. They may be recruiting some spring interns so let’s see…. The rest of the day, now that classes are over, has been devoted to my new apartment, coming and going, buying stuff and so on. I’m almost done, though, and it feels so good!

By the way, talking about jobs, I have to say that I have received two invites to banks’ closed lists. One for IB in London from a bulge bracket bank (it’s funny because I didn’t even apply and I guess they liked my profile after seeing the resumes of the people in the finance club). The other one for a rotational financial program at a big American bank to work in-house. The latter is the only banking program I applied to and I have been lucky to make it into the 12-people closed list. It is not the most seductive alternative to me (you know I am more interested in other stuff, but it could be a good back up….)

But, as I said before, tonight is my last night in NY this year. Tomorrow around 6 pm I will be flying back to my city. It’s a weird feeling. On the one hand, I really wanna leave to see my friends and family after four months. On the other, I think I could happily stay in NY to walk around, going out and stuff.

Looking back now, I can’t help throwing out some thoughts about these last months and their impact in my life so far. It may be too soon to conclude anything but there are some things I can say as of today. The summary is straightforward: I couldn’t be happier. I am so glad that I had the guts to take the decision that I took about quitting my job and going for an MBA. I am so happy that I chose Stern and New York City among the alternatives that I had. I have been lucky to meet great people and to be very good friends already with a few of them. However, there are still some question marks, essentially the ones concerning my professional future: what to do and what not to do, whether to forget about risk aversion and try to do what I really like or to pursue a more traditional and secure path, etc. These are not small things. Actually, they are the very big things. Some light will be shed on this during the first half of 2007.

And a lot of some other things will be taking place in 2007. I am confident that everything will be great, even better: some very interesting elective courses, parties, a new home, girls, Jack Daniels….in a nutshell, more NEW YORK.

Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home