A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Thursday, July 12, 2007

5 years ago....

330 am on Thursday night. I have just arrived at home after meeting with some friends and ex-colleagues of the law firm I used to work for. It's been a nice time although I did not expect it to take so long, particularly taking into acount that I will have a conference call tomorrow with my boss to discuss some aspects of the project we are dealing with... I'll have to be up in 4.5 h so I'd better rush!

As I said I have had a great time and, besides some good memories and catching up with some guys I had not seen since I left the firm a year and a half ago, I have realized that things remain pretty much the same in some aspects such as the complaints about relatively low salaries, long hours, senior associates going crazy to become partners and so on.

But it is also a fact that some things have also changed. For instance, half of the department I used to work at is new. I don't know any of those guys and although some stories are familiar to me some, I can't help but feeling like a stranger with respect to some others...and it's only been a year and a half!

The most shocking thing, though, is that I have realized how "tempus fugit". Today the new intake of trainees has been presented and they were all having some drinks at a club after socializing with their prospective mates. When I have seen that group of people I have come back for a second to London, 5 years ago. At that time I was about to join the firm. It was a time where I met some great people with the same expectations and thrill than these guys I am talking about were feeling today.

I remember myself pretty much like a kid those days. 5 years is not a long time but, at the same time is a lot. I can't believe how my life has changed since then. For better or for worse? That's a question that I'll be answering a year down the road...and I will be telling you about it.

Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home