A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Music festivals

Hey there!

It's a pretty good, and rather unusual too, feeling to wake up on Sunday morning without a trace of a hangover. It's even better taken into account that I have partied really hard this w/e and I have gone to bed at 7 am both nights. The trick has been partying with just water, coca cola and a red bull from time to time!

This weekend me and my friends have attended a great indie music festival in Madrid, called Summercase. It's a festival along the same lines than Glastonbury, Reading or Benicassim. It's been the fourth time I have gone to a festival like this. The three previous times it had been Benicassim. It's been a lot of fun... Great music, awesome vibe and looooots of really cute girls.

Friday night was a great opener. Too hot at the beginning, close to 35C, but getting better as dusk approached. Main gigs by The Sunday Drivers, a Spaniard band that I like a lot. James, led by Tim Booth and his extravagant dancing followed and closed with "She's a star", one of my favs. The Jesus and Mary Chain gig was a good time for me to chill out a bit (I ain't a big fan of them) and get ready for the best of the night. Kaiserchiefs and then The Chemical Brothers.

I was back home around 630 am, after partying - and getting to know a cute girl who unfortunately lost her cell phone (I've got her email, though... hahaha) - for a little while at a cool dj session at the festival area.

By the time I woke up on Saturday it was almost time to leave again. Me and my buddies just had lunch, relaxed for a while and left for the festival again. It was expected to be the very big day and, fortunately, our expectations were even exceeded...what a night!!

The evening kicked off with Editors and followed with Lilly Allen. The former performed strongly for 45 minutes and sounded just great. Lilly was a lot of fun. We thought she was slightly drunk or stoned but she may be just like that...she kept talking and laughing between songs. The best moment was when she told the crowd that a song was dedicated to an ex-boyfriend (she even shouted out the guy's name)... and the song's title was "Not big". Any clarification??? :-)

Arcade Fire, a band that I didn't know, followed and I really enjoyed their show. It's definitely the new band I am taking home from the festival. Then I went for a drink and a snack while The Flaming Lips played (don't like them too much) and got ready for the gig I wanted to see the most: Bloc Party. We approached the stage early to get a good spot and we did indeed. We were just a few meters away from the band and we shouted every tune as if it was the last: Banquet, Song for Clay...and Hellicopter to finish! Without a second of rest we rushed to the other stage to see the very final concert: Scissor Sisters. We were rather far from the stage but it was just perfect since we had plenty of space to dance... And at this point I met again the girl from the night before so the night was turning out to be just perfect!

After some final dancing provided by DJ Amable, a famous Spanish dj who blends rock and techno beats and who often plays at Razzmatazz, a great venue in Barcelona that I recommend you, I drove back home at 7 am.

God, what a weekend! And, as I said before, today I am fit enough to do some other things...and hopefully tomorrow I'll be ok to work. There is an imprtant week ahead of me. I'll be working directly with the VP from Paris, so I better get some inspiration!!

Ciao

1 Comments:

Blogger CG-NYC said...

Sounds like some awesome bands! Good luck with the guy from Paris. The French can be difficult, but how would I know that. ;) So, what happens with the girl? Or is that in the next post...

19:26

 

Post a Comment

<< Home