A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The “other” search

I am not gonna speak about the job search. That’s a tough one, needless to say. However, I am now fully involved in another search: the apartment search. I won’t say it’s tougher but it’s damn hard.

As I have already pointed out in some other posts, I am fed up with my on-campus housing. Leaving in a small room, having breakfast and dinner on my desk or just on my feet is not the best thing. It’s even worse when you stop and think about the fact that you’re spending 1600 a month in rent.

I guess my previous years immediately before coming to NY have an influence. I used to share an apartment with friends and the time that I had was just awesome. Leaving just by myself is not feasible: first because I already lived on my own for 6 months three years ago and in the end I did not enjoy it that much (although it’s clear that it has its perks); and secondly, because I can’t afford it.

The search is already undergoing. The new “Friends apartment” (as some of my friends used to call it following one of my favorite series) may be a reality soon. Today I have visited four apartments, two in Soho and two in the East Village. All of them were pretty good but the ones in the East Village were far better, fully refurbished, with a nice living room to fit a couch, table, big tv, etc and with rooms big enough for a queen bed and a desk. Price: less than 1600 a piece – including utilities, cable and internet – for each of the three of us who are thinking about moving in together.

One of my future flat mates is now in London interviewing with investment banks but hopefully on Monday we will be able to start with the application process. That’s gonna be a tough battle too: credit check, social security number, guarantors….these are the things landlords request and we have none of them so paying upfront a number of months (as much as 6!)may be our only alternative…or may not even be sufficient. We’ll see. I just can’t stop thinking about moving into a real home. I guess my friends who may (hopefully) be visiting in the future will be willing to see a closed deal.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, a big day in the US. Most of the people are out of town for a long weekend but I have decided to stay. Walking around, watching movies, catching up with a couple of courses….And of course going out tonight! I don’t know if I will be eating turkey for dinner but it will be good fun for sure.

Ciao

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Living alone is boring and lonely...I know that coz I'm living by myself now...wish I could find some friends to live with. Anyway, good luck with the "Friends Apartment" hunting! After all, the "friends" part is more important than the "apartment" part^_^

21:13

 

Post a Comment

<< Home