A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sneakers

I’m not in the mood to write a lot tonight. It’s nearly 330 am, I’m tired, I’m around 90 bucks poorer than a few hours ago and I’m pissed off. It’s been my worst night in NY so far. I guess that I also have to account for shitty nights like this. Iit’s part of the story too, even if I don’t like it.

Before coming to NY my friends and I used to talk about the outfit to wear on a particular night before going out. You gotta know the rules and play the night-game according to them. Some indie nights are for t-shirts and sneakers whereas some posh nights are for shirts and shoes. I do not like wearing shoes in my leisure time but I do know that if I wanna make it into certain places I have to wear them. Same with the rest of my outfit. What you cannot do is playing any game with your own rules and trying to win always. Clubs’ regulations and bouncers are tough opponents and it must be said that, one way or another, most of the times – if not always – they do win.

Tonight was gonna be a great night out. We had not gone out yesterday, some friend’s friends were visiting….it was the kind of night where you do really want to have a great time. I was a little worried about expectations since it’s kind of a Murphy’s law that the higher the expectations the worse the outcome. And that is exactly what has happened tonight.

We have started with a great dinner at an Italian restaurant in Meatpacking. Before leaving the restaurant we just approached a group of girls who were celebrating a birthday to invite them to come over with us for a drink…very friendly and stuff but they wouldn’t give us the time. Fair enough. So far so good. The night had just started.

After a quick drink in a bar nearby we have headed over to a party close to the Plaza Hotel, in the surroundings of Central Park. The place looked great; pretty posh, though. And on owr way in problems just started. Some of my friends were not let in b/c they were wearing sneakers. Although we tried the persuade the bouncer he wouldn’t let them in. I kind of expected this problem, I had told my friends a few hours ago about wearing sneakers but they insisted on the fact that they were not sneakers….whatever…, they looked like that and you cannot argue with the bouncer whether your sneakers are or are not sneakers. In the end we all left the place not to leave a few of the guys on their own . Then a kind of pilgrimage around NY started, jumping from one place to another, taking cabs, wasting money and being more and more pissed off as time was going by.

After so much shit I have ended up having what a friend claimed to be NY’s best pizza….which was not by far. Just a few word to picture this moment, the very first one I have been so annoyed in NY. Well, it has taken me 4 months to be pissed off, though, so it’s not such a bad record. I just hope it will take at least another 4 months to replicate this moment.

Ciao

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parece que estas supermonchi!!, para que veas que alguno visita tu blogs y vé las dos versiones: La rubeistica del email (marcador, puntuación,...) y la bloggera, que es en la que te sueltas más. Ánimo que lo echarás de menos.

Fdo: Kélmiko

17:05

 

Post a Comment

<< Home