A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Sleeping pill

It’s almost 2 am in the morning and I can’t sleep. I thought that maybe some writing could help me out. First I thought about reading some stuff about calls and puts…that would definitely work… but that is more than I can take now. Sweet November with Keanu and Charlize is on now and that was my second option … and I guess that it would have also worked. But I have finally decided to write something.

Today it’s been a fun day. Recap: (a) I have asked a pretty intelligent question about multiple regression during the stats class (I can’t believe it yet….); (b) firms & markets class is over (and the final exam is coming next Monday); (c) I have been able to schedule an informational with a guy at a big media conglomerate; (d) I have attended a very interesting panel on film producing and financing; (e) I have had a very nice dinner with a friend who is visiting from London (and I have tasted the buffalo shrimps and some Alaskan crab fish claws for the first time); and (f) I have drunk my first cosmopolitan in NY (and it has reminded me of big fun days with my buddies a few months ago when we were kind of mad about this drink).

The next big point is the apartment you already know about…..yeeeeeeeeessssss!!! There is an apartment…sorry, not an apartment but the apartment! After a long and tiring search my two future flat mates and myself have been able to find an affordable nice place. We have reached an agreement with both the landlord and the broker and we will be meeting on Sunday to close the deal. Three nice bedrooms, amazing living room, recently refurbished, good location in the East Village and only 15 minute-walk from school. The opening party will definitely become one of the year’s events (being modest…..) if we don’t face any last moment problems with landlord and/or NYU housing ….

Before going to bed (this writing thing seems to work), some philosophy. The other day a friend and I commented on a very important topic: smooching (yep, I learnt the word recently and I had to use it). Why are NY girls so concerned about smooching in public? Open minded for some “other” stuff but so strict about smooching in a club. When it first happened to me I thought I had just met a shy girl. However, many guys (non-Americans, mainly) have gone through the same stuff. It’s weird, at least in the country where I come from. Is kind of funny if you think about it, though. It’s like behaving “properly” in front of people you don’t know at all. It reminded me of a Pride & Prejudice kind of society…. From now on, maybe we should refer to things such as “I got acquainted with her yesterday”. It’s not about romance and stuff. It’s just, I don’t know….weird, isn’t it?

Ciao

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!
ya me pasarás el contacto de este agente!
When are you havin' this house warming pary? Will the Esade dudes be invited to the big event?!
We'll bring a few good catalan wines. And some girls from Chile ( hopefully ).

Cheez
Salva

05:11

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops! Talking to me?

13:51

 
Blogger Rubeo Boy said...

the anonymous guy is welcome to say something a little bit more interesting. Yes, this is my blog and stupidity is censored.

Salva, more than welcome to come over. It will be after Christmas I guess....

16:42

 

Post a Comment

<< Home