A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

First farewells...again

I feel like I am re-living what I lived around a year ago, right before leaving for NY. At that time I was about to leave my country, my friends, my family…it was a bittersweet time. On the one hand, leaving to do what I desired the most. On the other, leaving people behind me, at least temporarily.

A year later I was back, unexpectedly. That was almost three months ago. Time has gone by really quickly. As one of my roommates was telling me a few hours ago before he left for Croatia for his summer holidays (I won’t see him again for a long time unless he comes to NY, and he has promised so!), that’s a sign that these three months have been ok. I’d say more. They have been exceptional.

I will only refer now to the personal side, though. It’s true that many things have changed in the last year, many more than I expected when I first left for the US. People around me are, let’s say, in a quieter mood. This is a trend with peaks and valleys in young people’s life and peaks will come back…or maybe not b/c “young” becomes less and less applicable to us as we keep growing older. But I have really enjoyed these months. I have had the opportunity to spend time with my buddies, with my friends from my former work, with some other friends from other cities where I lived, even with my friends from abroad…and I have also met new friends. I have traveled around, I have enjoyed some cities and I have had lots of fun.

It’s been an amazing summer, much better than I initially expected. I am alone at my (i.e. my friends’) place now. My roommates are all gone. They have left for their respective holidays and I will be the one locking the door when I live in three days. What a paradox. The one who was “occupying” the apartment will shut it down. I feel a little lonely. It’s something reasonable, I guess.

But I can’t complain at all. I have to look at the positive things of the last three months, which are many. And more adventures and challenges are just around the corner…it’s just a matter of time.

Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home