A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Friday, August 31, 2007

Officially...MBA2

NY life seems to kick off. I have finally met with a bunch of friends and class mates after the long summer. It feels good to see the people again and to exchange summer internship experiences and stuff.

People seem to be rather happy about their summers. I feel a little envious about the guys who have already secured full time offers after their summer. I knew I was not gonna get any before I started with my internship since it isn’t common practice at the company, nor within the industry, so I was aware that the whole recruiting process would start over gain for me in September. I have just taken a look at the website of the career services’ office and in the next three weeks there will be 20+ companies coming over only to recruit MBA2s… you got it, mostly banks and financial services companies…pressure and doubts also start over again…

I have also seen around the new Stern class, the class of 2009, slightly larger than my class. In total, around 440 people, 10% more than last year…they hardly fit in the rooms!! I can’t believe that a year ago I was standing in their shoes. It’s been a little shocking to see their talent show performances (while we MBA2s drank beer…it’s a tradition that last year I swore I wouldn’t follow but in the end…) and even more shocking to be part of a panel advising these guys about how to do certain things.

Last year I was not very confident about MBA2s’ advice since it seemed like just for the sake of being MBA2s they were right, and they weren’t always. Thus I am determined this year to keep a very low profile when participating in these kinds of workshops, events or whatever. I will just tell my experience, what worked and what didn’t work for me, which does not necessarily mean that is right or wrong… By the way, sit on a chair as an “expert” (when you are not!) in front of 75 people is not an easy thing. I had never done such a thing before but it is part of my self imposed tasks to improve my speaking in public. It didn’t go too bad in the end!!

Enough for today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home