A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Staten Island

There’s only one left! After today I can say that the Bronx is the only NY borough that I have not visited yet. The other four (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island) have been crossed out from my list.

At 1 pm today, after reviewing emails and the daily news, I have taken a book and headed to the Staten Island Ferry, nearby Battery Park. I have jumped on the boat and leaned against the bar looking to the west. On my way back I have done the same thing but looking to the east, so that I could capture all the view.

The trip to Staten Island is short, roughly 20 minutes. However, in a sunny day like today, it’s worth it. It’s amazing to see the NY and Jersey skylines from the sea. The picture capturing the whole of them is unforgettable. I will have to return, though, once I buy a camera...NYC seems less impressing from the water and such sensation becomes more apparent as the ferry moves forward. On the contrary, the Statue of Liberty on one corner of the Ellis Island appears more shiny than from Manhattan. It’s just a matter of perception, I guess.

Once in Staten Island, I was determined to take a look. The first impression is that it’s a rather residential place, with very few shops and restaurants… and very few people!! There was nobody in the street! Before getting completely lost I have asked a man about somewhere worth seeing to go. He as advised to walk around a mile from where I was; then I would find a museum and some nice restaurants and stuff. After more than 40 minutes walking I couldn’t see anything… except for the fact that I was the only white guy around and the only one who had difficulties in understanding the hip hop songs played loudly in the stereos. Trouble was the last thing that I wanted so, after a while, I have decided to come back to the ferry for a quiet coming back home.

Although you may park your car all day for 6 bucks at a car par and for the whole month for 100 bucks… would I live in Staten Island? Don’t think so…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home