A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Friday, August 10, 2007

See you Mickey!!


I am done with my summer internship. Two parts of the MBA are gone already and “only” the second year is left. Only three weeks away.

Not long ago I decided to pursue – or at least try – a career in media, make a career switch, although I was not very sure that it would be feasible given my background as an attorney. However, now I am feeling more comfortable, determined and motivated to do so. I hope this feeling won’t vanish.

And the main reason for that is the great internship I have just finished at Disney. I had some expectations when I accepted the offer: the kind of work, the responsibility, whether I should make coffee for everybody… and some fears too: whether I would be able to work in media w/o previous experience, whether I would enjoy it, whether I would fit inside Winnie’s costume; in sum, whether the path I had chosen was right. Now I have clearer mindset, as I said before. I have earned credit for my own benefit at least for a few months. It’s time to give it a go!!!

I don’t know if I have learnt a lot (I have learnt some, for sure) but I have realized that I can make it in this industry. Moreover, my bosses have told me so, which is by far more important. One may have self confidence but if the ones deciding think the other way around there’s nothing left to do. And this is my main takeaway after three months.

But beyond that, there’s another thing: the people that I have met. I dare to say that I am leaving a nice bunch of friends at the company. They have made me feel at home from the very beginning and that’s extremely valuable. I mingle with people and adapt rather easily to new places. I was obviously aware that I was getting alone. However, after today’s farewell where many of my colleagues have come over to have a drink and a snack and to give me some goodbye presents, I have definitely realized that, from a personal standpoint, I could have definitely stayed. I hate farewells. Don’t get me wrong, today’s one has been beautiful. However, it’s been sad at the same time. I haven’t shed a tear (as some of my work mates were requesting!) but it’s been sad. If you think about it, it’s amazing how many people you get to know in three months. I think I hadn’t realized until today…

Anyway, another stage is about to finish. I will now leave for a week with my parents and then for another week back to my city to enjoy the festivities. Then, it will be time to start the final stage in NY. I am looking forward to it although I know it’s gonna be tough in terms of finding the dream media job in the US. But, as of today, I am confident. Thanks Mickey, I owe you!! Who knows, maybe this is just a “see you soon”…

Ciao

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this is just a "see you soon" :-) we are going to miss you!

04:09

 

Post a Comment

<< Home