A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Friday, September 14, 2007

Busy days



Before going to bed, and while the album "Our love to Admire" by Interpol plays on my Itunes, I have decided to put in writing some of the frenzy that is going on these days.

First, I have just submitted my first assignment for "Foundations of Entrepreneurship". The assignment is due tomorrow at 9 am and consists of evaluating a business plan from the perspective of a venture capital firm that may be interested in investing. This assignment is worth 40% of the final grade, which is surprising taking into account that we have only had four classes so far. It's been quite a lot of work to read the case and the supporting info and to put all the thoughts in writing. ..but I am done know! The course looks promising and Professor Okun seems to be a good one. So far I am enjoying it. I will have the grade by Tuesday (!) and a friend has told me that our professor is a tough grader. He gave my friend a C+ (rather low for biz school) although he told him that he had done a good job...let's see if I don't go even lower!

In addition to that, I am dealing this week with all the recruiting thing. A couple of days ago I talked to an advisor at Stern's career office. It was a useful talk. However, what is clear is that in the end the decision is mine and it will depend on how comfortable I feel with facing the odds...Now it's time to gather some extra information.

For instance, today I have been talking to an alum who works in corporate development at NBC Universal. I saw his name on the school's data base, shot him an email and today I have called him after he agreed to talk to me. He's been very friendly and has recommended me to take a fall and/or spring internship to increase my chances to take a full time job. Nothing new, though… In the end he has asked me for my resume and he will be distributing it within the division where he works... Hopefully I will be able to get something...

Tomorrow I will be meeting with a guy who just graduated last May and who took a job at the media group of a bulge bracket investment bank. He was very interested in media and he got a media job during his MBA summer. However, he ended up taking a job in banking because I guess he was not sure about putting all the eggs in a basket that won’t be uncovered until the beginning of next year.

As you can see, both sides of the same coin: risk-friendly vs. risk averse approach...

Finally, today we have had the first practice of the soccer team. It's been good fun and many first years have come over. It seems like soccer is becoming more and more popular each year. I have realized, though, that I need to be a little more fit, in particular taking into account that the Yale tournament is only two weeks away.

One final thought. If the scale that I bought a few weeks ago is fine I have been able to get rid of around 2 kg since I arrived in NY. Quicker than expected!! I am pretty much in my weight now.
Time to sleep. Interpol's new album sounds good and, thus, it is very likely that I will be seeing them tomorrow at the Madison. Just a sample for your ears below...

Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home