A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Monday, September 10, 2007

Doubts

Classes have started and my blog production has inversely increased. After a week or so writing every single day, it’s been ten days since I last wrote.

It feels good to be back in school. However, it’s costing me quite a lot to focus. I have the mentality to start over again with all the cases, assignments and stuff. But I feel like I am gonna need some more days to get back to routine.

Corporate presentations have also started. Well, they will be starting tomorrow. Who is coming first? The usual suspects, obviously: investment banks. And doubts come back to me once again. When I listen to my friends about their summers at Ibanks I get different perspectives. Some of them did not enjoy it. Some others did and have already accepted full time offers, which include $50k+ sign in bonuses and $90k+ plus bonus compensation packages…

Money is not the main issue for me. I don’t really care if I don’t make such amount of money as long as I am able to do what I want. However, it’s not gonna be easy. The media sector is tough and it is even tougher for foreigners who want to stay in the US given the immigration concerns. The other day I was visiting a guy that I know at a big Japanese media corporation and he was not very optimistic. Somehow he suggested me to look for alternative routes…

And that is exactly where my doubts come into play. Should I take the risk of waiting for some media job within the industry (it means waiting until Spring, most likely) or should I go into IB – a rather smooth transition for me given my background, I guess – gain some experience and then make the switch? Perks: (a) awesome salary that would allow me to almost pay off my MBA dues in a year or two; (b) great formation that would almost guarantee my future transition; (c) real possibility to stay in the US. Downsides: (a) awful lifestyle (that I already know pretty well and that I was determined to leave behind when I came to NY) that will drive me mad by the end of the first week (although I am ready to take it if necessary); (b) not doing what I really want – even if I land a media group and knowing on the first date – which I do not know if makes a lot of sense after coming for my MBA.

More news to come in the following weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home