A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Friday, September 28, 2007

A tiring week


Dammit, it had been a long time since I was that tired by Thursday. I have not even been able to go out for a drink with the guys. So much different from last Thursday...!

It’s been a long and tough week. On top of the classes and a couple of assignments due, on Tuesday and Wednesday I volunteered volunteered (obviously doing very sexy stuff such as giving out registration badges and moving tables from one place to another… very MBA kind of work. It has reminded me of a FedEx ad that you can check out below)at a sports conference that took place in NY.
It seemed to be a good opportunity to try to meet some people within the industry and to see some panels for free (taking into account that the cost of attending for the public was around 1,400 bucks). But in the end it was not that useful. I had almost no chances to meet people and I only sat on a panel. In exchange, I got an attendee list (may be useful at some point) and a couple of names but that’s just it. Taking into account that I had to wake up around 5 am both days I do not know if it was worth it…

In addition, this week I have started my evening courses. Now I have class both on Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 9 pm. Tuesday course is Competitive strategy in the marketplace, taught by professor Czepiel. It’s regarded as a course where you learn a lot but that implies a shitload of work. Two case presentations per group (one presenting and one acting as a board judging the presentation) and three additional papers. I did not enjoy very much the first two sessions but I am gonna give it a go.

Today Corporate strategy and finance in EMT has started. The professor is Ted Smith. It’s been my very first class ever taught with a socratic method (in words of the professor). It means that we spend the whole three hours speaking but there is no case at all. The prof just leads the discussion and cold calls everybody. Actually, participation accounts for 50% of the grade. I have enjoyed the class a lot although you feel the pressure throughout it and I have been on the spot once. This course has received great reviews in the past and it is very promising.

Tomorrow it will be time for some traveling. We are leaving, as we did last year, for Yale, to play their annual soccer tournament. Let’s see if we can do better than last year and reach at least the semis.

Let’s get some sleep now.
Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home