A foreigner's MBA (and related) adventures in the "Big Apple"

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Nikki & Business Cards

It is late and I wanna go to bed. I am not used to going out on Wednesdays but today it was a special day b/c we have celebrated that one of my colleagues (i.e. bosses) from work just got a great opportunity somewhere else, so we all have gone for a few drinks to celebrate with her.

I am happy today – I have changed my Facebook profile to “just happy” – mainly b/c I have presented to my bosses the stuff I have been working on for almost two months and they have liked it. Happiness and relieve at the same time!

So, as I was saying, after work we have gone for a few beers. First, at a pub on 36th St. and 5th Av. It has been my first opportunity to mingle with some work mates in a relaxed setting and it has been a lot of fun…many things have been said and, who knows, some good work stuff may come out of this, though I do not want to be very optimistic…

After that I have headed to the Meat Packing district with some mates. We have gone to an exclusive club (not a disco club, but rather a real club, with its lounge, a bar and a restaurant) thank to a mate who is a member. After some talk and laughs three of us have followed the “girl in red” and the “girl in green” to the smoking room. They were hot, particularly the one in red. We have ended up talking to them and I have had the chance to talk to the one in red. Nikki.

Nikki has hard “a tough life”, traveling from Pennsylvania to New York and then to L.A. and Hollywood… she really seemed to be the kind of beauty queen who was the most popular girl in high school. She has told me her story but I haven’t had time to tell her about me in the beginning…

But before leaving we have engaged again in a conversation, up to the point where she has asked me – from scratch – for my business card. My colleague who is a member of the club had advised me not to say that I was a student (I thought he was exaggerating at that point) and to rather fake that I was a banker or an attorney (I can do the latter, I guess). I have told Nikki-in-a-red-dress that I never go out with business cards…and I have asked her that what the matter is if you do not go out with your cards (I don’t have any, just for the sake of clarification!). Plain answer: “you are nobody in NY without business cards”…

In the end, you realize that there are people who are really like that. Patrick Bateman, the protagonist of American Psycho, has come to my mind straight away. If you have seen the movie you probably understand what I mean about appearances.

It’s been a funny night and now I just want to sleep. But I really needed to tell this story. Anyway, I am not getting business cards printed !!

Ciao

3 Comments:

Blogger simple man said...

ha thats funny !

“you are nobody in NY without business cards”…

Wish u good luck the next time

08:15

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silian Rail

17:26

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could have made better use of your Igualatorio Business Card to get through this...
as at "Cafe de Paris" with the CamposFrescos one, ji ,ji!

17:32

 

Post a Comment

<< Home